Should the owner of a home wish to 1) add another name (usually a family member) to the title of the property OR 2) to delete a person’s name from title OR 3) completely change the names on title, our office will perform the following functions to accomplish the transfer of title:
- We will receive and review your written instructions from the TITLE TRANSFER REQUEST FORM to begin processing the file
- We will prepare the documentation necessary for transferring title and attend on clients for the signing of such documents
- We will register the title change document with the Land Registry Office
- We will notify (by letter) the property tax department, and, if applicable, the condominium management office regarding the change of ownership.
Regarding Title Transfers, our office will:
- NOT conduct full title searches and the person(s) receiving title will sign an acknowledgment that we are not doing so.
- NOT obtain title insurance for the person(s) receiving title. If the person receiving title provides a written request for title insurance, we shall advise you of costs involved.
- NOT arrange to advise the home fire insurance company of the change of ownership so that the person(s) to be on title are reflected in the insurance policy. Advising your insurance company provider is the responsibility of the homeowner(s).
- NOT arrange to change names of owners on utility bills or to have matters, as advising utility providers is the responsibility of the homeowner(s).
- NOT advise an existing mortgage lender of the title change, as this is the responsibility of the homeowner. Should any current owner wish to be removed from any obligations to a mortgage lender, you must arrange this directly with your lender.
- NOT provide advice regarding any accounting or income tax consequences with respect to the intended change of title. It is understood that there are tax implications involved when transferring title, especially if the property is an investment property or not the principal residence of the homeowner.
Should you wish to transfer ownership of a residential property you will be required to complete the attached TITLE TRANSFER REQUEST FORM, which must be signed by all parties involved in the title transfer.
You must send the request form to our office by email, fax or in person, along with:
- 1) copy of your current transfer/deed and
- 2) your most recent property tax bill
Our legal fees for a transfer of title is: $675 + HST + disbursements (typically $200.00) + any applicable land transfer taxes